Wednesday, September 21, 2011

When You're as Young as Your Students . . .

I copypastaed this from a teaching forum I'm on, and I thought my response would be good to post for the first time teachers out there.  It's from a high school Spanish teacher.
 
I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me: I started teaching last year and now I'm long-term subbing at one of the best high schools in my state. I'm only 21! Some of my students are only 3 years younger than me! Additionally, I have been given 3 preps to prepare for, when all of the other teachers in the department only have 2. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed and was hoping for some new-teacher advice on dealing with students and parents. I want to be taken seriously as a new teacher! (It doesn't help that I'm 5'2" and look like I'm 17!)
I responded:

My mother was 20 when she was teaching mostly 17- and 18-year-olds! She graduated a year early. I think what everyone else has said is pertinent--dress professionally, shut down inappropriate questions, don't talk about clubbing/bar hopping/similar that you might have done over the weekend.

I tried to hide the fact that I was a first year teacher unless a parent directly asked. A lot of parents have unfair perceptions of first years. This worked for me because it was these kids' first year at the school. And while my situation was different (teaching four-year-olds), I did have some parents say, "You're so young" and even an irate one in a conference say, "Well, how would you know? You don't have kids!" (I responded sweetly, "Yes, I do, 18 of them all day long"--maybe not the best response, but I was mad too.) You've got to grow a thick skin and come up with some good responses to these types of remarks.

Also, at 5'2", I assume you either get a lot of stuff in the petites department or get stuff altered. Having great fitting stuff will add a layer of professional that the kids won't have. A good blog I've found about petite clothing and alterations is called Alterations Needed. You can google it.

Ask and borrow ideas and worksheets from other people in your department. If you have departmental meetings or common planning or lunch together, ask everyone, "I need a good idea about how to present verbs. What do you do?" Also be quick to offer ideas or worksheets to other teachers--a new teacher often has fresh ideas. Don't be afraid to look like you're not perfect--all the best teachers steal ideas.

Finally, I don't mean to be mean, but three preps isn't really all that bad. My mother has done it for years, and sometimes she'd have four preps. She teaches foreign language. I'm guessing there are other teachers at your school who have more than two preps. You may just have to suck it up for this year, then negotiate your preps when you're offered a full-time position.


If there are new teachers or veteran teachers out there reading this, what do you think?  Do you have any advice for newbies?  Do you agree with my response?

No comments:

Post a Comment